Software and materials for the Simulations and Modelling Workshop at
NUS, Singapore, 8-14 November 2018.
Before the workshop
- Check your laptop specs!
- Your computer should have a 64-bit processor and 4 or 8
'logical' cores. To check the number of cores available, open R
and do: parallel::detectCores().
- We will be generating some large objects, so you will need
at least 4 Gb of installed RAM.
- Check your operating system: You can use Windows 7, 8 or 10
or a Mac with OS X
10.11 (El Capitan) or later. If you have a Mac, you will need the XQuartz utility installed.
- If you have problems with your operating
system, see here for
- We will be doing a lot of heavy-duty number
crunching, so if your laptop tends to overheat, you may need a
- Check that you have recent versions of necessary software (see
- Prepare ONE PowerPoint SLIDE to introduce yourself and send
We'll put those together and show them during the introductions
at the beginning of the workshop. The aspect ratio should be
4:3; go to Page Setup and select Slides sized for: On-screen
- Download and preview the workshop materials (see
- Look through the R Skills Review again - both your answers
and the suggested answers - and make sure you have these skills
at your finger-tips.
- We'll be sharing scripts, so please look at the
Google style guide for R. (Personally, I don't like dots in
variable names, but I don't mind underscores.)
You should have the latest version of R installed (currently 3.5.1).
We will want to do some simulations with Bayesian analysis, so you should have
JAGS 4.2.0 or later. Look for the download link just below the menu bar
here. Install the
rjags package and check that it loads
correctly: When you do
library(rjags) you should get a message telling you that
rjags has linked to
JAGS 4.2.0 or 4.3.0.
You should have current versions of the following CRAN packages installed:
install.packages(c("beeswarm", "wiqid", "shiny", "secrdesign",
"spatstat", "jagsUI", "AHMbook", "doParallel", "foreach"))
The outline schedule for the workshop is
Materials for days 1-3 are here
Additional materials, including large files, will be distributed on
USB pen drives.